Is There a Hidden Chamber in Tutankhamun's Tomb ?
Egyptian authorities and expert historians believe that there may be a secret chamber inside Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun's tomb. Queen Nefertiti, who was possibly the boy king's mother, may have been buried there together with her son. If true, the discovery is one of the biggest in modern Egyptian history.
Archaeologists used radar and infra-red technology to examine the grave. They found out that there are differences in temperature in parts of the northern wall. Images taken have been sent to Japan for further examination. They may prove that Tutankhamun's grave is larger than first thought.
Nicholas Reeves, a British archaeologist who specializes in Egyptian history, claims that the tomb was originally made for Nefertiti . Because Tutankhamun died at at the age of 17, the boy king was buried there. For a long time archaeologists have wondered why the grave is smaller than that of other pharaohs.
Nefertiti ruled ancient Egypt together with her husband 3,300 years ago. While her resting place has never been discovered, historians think that she was buried in Amarna, 400 km north of Luxor. Some scientists assume that Nefertiti's remains are among a group of mummies that are now in the Egyptian museum in Cairo.
Even if the images prove that there is a secret chamber behind Tutankhamun's tomb , Egyptian authorities have stated that they would not allow archaeologists to do any further digging inside Tutankhamun's grave. King Tutankhamun's tomb was discovered in 1922 by Howard Carter, complete with many valuable artefacts including his famous mask .
- Tutankhamun - The Boy King
- Ancient Egypt
- Cleopatra - Egyptian Queen and Her Love Affairs
- Ancient Massacre in Kenya Discovered
- archaeologist = person who studies ancient civilizations and what is left over of their cities and buildings
- assume = think that something is true
- artefact = object that was made in the past and is historically important
- authority = official government organization that has the power to make decisions
- bury = to put someone who has died in a grave
- chamber = room
- claim = to say that something is true
- dig = to make a hole in the ground with a shovel
- discover = to find some new and interesting facts for the first time
- examine = look at closely
- further = more
- grave = tomb; where someone is buried
- historian = someone who has studied history or historical events
- image = picture
- including = also
- infra-red = light that gives out heat but cannot be seen
- mask = something that covers and hides your face
- mummy = dead body that has been preserved by wrapping it in cloth
- originally = at first
- pharaoh = Egyptian king
- prove = show that something is true
- radar = instrument that uses radio waves to find out where things are
- remains = what is left of someone's dead body
- rule = here: to be king or queen
- scientist = a person who is trained in science and works in a lab
- secret = not known by many people
- specialize = to be an expert in a certain field
- state = to say officially
- tomb = stone structure where a dead person is buried
- valuable = worth a lot