Donald Trump - The Key to Success
Donald Trump is one of America’s most successful business magnates . He operates several companies all over the world. His assets are worth a total of about $3 billion . Now Donald Trump has announced that he might become a candidate for the presidency in 2012.
When he was in his twenties Trump developed into a tycoon who built large buildings like Trump Tower in New York. He and his wife Ivana became celebrities in the Big Apple. Towards the end of the 1980s Trump got into financial difficulties and almost became bankrupt . It was during this period that his first marriage ended.
Nevertheless Donald Trump fought back. With the help of banks he managed to pay back most of his debt . He sold off some of his buildings and started a comeback towards the end of the 1990s.
Today Trump is married to his third wife and back in business again. His three children are executives in his financial empire . In the last few years Trump has built hotels, holiday resorts and golf courses all over the world. Trump World Tower, finished in 2001, is a luxury apartment building in the middle of Manhattan. Every year he organizes the Miss Universe beauty contest .
One key to success is how Donald Trump deals with the media . He wrote his autobiography The Art of the Deal at a very early age, before the financial crisis. He is a big celebrity and has appeared on TV series more than once. Some years ago he started producing his own reality show , The Apprentice . Another reason for Donald Trump’s long-lasting success is that he knows how to make money out of his name. But many of his friends say his real goal is not money but being famous.
Donald Trump has learned from the mistakes he had made during the financial crisis. Today he admits that expanding his business at such a fast rate was a grave mistake he wouldn’t make any more.
- admit = to say that you have done something wrong
- announce = say officially
- appear = show
- apprentice = someone who works for a person in order to learn new things
- asset = all the things a company owns, which can be sold to pay bills
- bankrupt = without enough money to pay what you owe
- beauty contest = an event in which men and women are judged by the way they look
- candidate = here: someone who wants to become president
- celebrity = famous person who is in the media very often
- company = firm, business
- deal with = manage, work with
- debt = the money that you must pay back others
- develop = grow
- difficulty = problem
- empire = group of organizations controlled by one person
- executive = manager in an organization; a person who makes big decisions
- expand = grow
- goal = aim
- grave = very bad
- in business = here: successful
- key = answer
- long-lasting = to last for a long time
- luxury =very expensive
- magnate = rich and powerful businessperson
- manage = to do something difficult
- marriage = the relationship between two people who are married
- media = TV, radio and newspapers
- nevertheless = however, even so
- operate = own
- organize = carry out
- presidency = the office or job of the American president
- produce = make
- rate = speed
- reality show = television show that is about real people and what they do
- resort = place where people go for holidays
- series = television program that is broadcast every week with the same characters
- success = become famous and rich
- successful = to make a lot of money
- towards = near
- tycoon = rich and powerful businessperson